Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Time flies when you are having fun!!!

Hello blog world!!  It's been awhile.  I've been trying to get back into the swing of things in the craft room..... and I figured what better way to start then to just jump in and start creating.... so last night I did just that.  I'll show you my creation as soon as I get this blog post done ~

Well let's see.. what's kept me away???  Well.. HOMECOMING!  It's one of my favorite weeks of the whole school year.  My youngest son Matt is a Sr. this year and I'm very sad to say that I participated in my last homecoming having a child in school.  Bittersweet I know... But... I have also learned not to be to sad about those moments.  But to relish in them and know that there are many more memories to be made! 


I'm not sure how your town celebrates Homecoming week, but we have a fun packed week for all!!!  The Friday before Homecoming the Seniors vote for the top 10 girls and the top 10 boys for their Homecoming Court.  I am so very proud to say that my son did make the top ten. 

He's the handsome young man in the blue Columbia jacket with a black t-shirt.  Now I have to add that the kids up here for this photo are all just great kids.  Of all my kids, this class has been the closest at heart class.  They don't thrive on drama and really do just enjoy each other.  It had to be one of the closest years of voting ever!!! The top 10 is announced on Monday during a pep assembly. It is also the first dress up day of the week. As you can tell by the photo, the girls dressed in animal print and the guys in camo. After the assembly it's off to the local businesses to paint the windows.. It was pouring down rain but they didn't let it stop them. 


Tue. brings another voting day.  But the whole high school votes now.  And it's a dress up day as well.  My son didn't participate in them so I am not sure what it was. 


Wed. brings the votes for the top 5..... and.. well.. my son didn't make that but that doesn't make a difference to me.. he got there in the top 10 out of a class of about 150.  After all the sports practices are over, they kids all meet at the high school parking lot to spray paint.... EACH OTHER!!  I have never seen kids have SO MUCH FUN as they do with this activity.  It is a supervised activity and just pure innocent FUN!!! 



They also get to white wash on the school parking lot.......



Thur is toga day for the Sr's and pajama day for the rest of the student body.  The football players got to wear black togas and their tie ~  Usually Thur. is dress up day for them... so their black dress pants and dress shirts were replaced with a black sheet.  I was happy the coach let them participate. 

See the blond young man with giving you the thumbs up???  You guessed it, that's Matt.....  It takes a few days to get all the spray paint off of them as you can tell!!  After a short practice and a team meal.. the kids get their floats out and jump on the fire trucks and the top 5 get in the fancy cars and drive through town for our Homecoming parade.

I did so good and I was SO proud of myself.  I held the tears until after the firetruck was by...... you could say I may be an emotional mom.... just a little...  After the parade we all meet at the high school football field for a pep assembly and to announce the king and queen.  It was a surprise to all the top candidates.. but we were proud to say that our Queen is on the football team and has just recently moved here and has won the hearts of many!!!  After the crowning the girls get to take the field for some powder puff football.  Don't be fooled though.. these girls get down and dirty and have some fun tackling.. um I mean going after those flags!!  The Senior girls took home the win!!!

Friday is spirit day as they all wear black and gold to support their team..... It was a great night as the Varsity team pulled out the first win in 6 years for our Homecoming game! 


I know this is only ONE of the weeks that I've been away from my blog but it was the most exciting.  I hope you've enjoyed seeing the fun we have through our Homecoming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment